Regatta En Plein Air Quick Draw
On Saturday, September 21, 2013, the Herron Alumni Association will help transform the downtown canal into an artist’s playground as we host our annual Art Contest at the Fifth Annual IUPUI Regatta. This contest is open to artists 18 years or older, whether amateur or professional. Using their own supplies, participants create original artwork in any medium. The $10 entry fee includes an official Regatta “Artist” t-shirt.
QUICK DRAW CONTEST GUIDELINES
Register by September 4th
- PRE-REGISTER by 9-4-13 IF YOU WANT A T-SHIRT All artists must pre-register online to be entered in the Plein Air contest and receive a Regatta “Artist” t-shirt. You can sign up the day of the event but t-shirts may be unavailable.
- REGISTRATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. The contest will be held, rain or shine. The $10 fee applies even if you register too late to receive a t-shirt.
- UNSTAMPED WORK WILL NOT BE JUDGED. Registration and stamping begins at 10:30 a.m. Look for the check-in tent near Buggs Temple (11th Street). Upon arrival, artists must check-in and those with canvasses must have their pad/canvasses stamped before beginning work. Canvasses may be prepped but otherwise must be blank.
- YOU MAY SIGN, MATT OR FRAME WORK TO BE JUDGED. Artists provide their own easels for displaying their work for judging. Work can be signed, framed or matted for judging. Artists are responsible for ensuring that your easel is appropriate for outdoor display. Keep in mind that it could be a very windy, hot, rainy or cold day.
- BOUNDARIES - Artists will set up along the race course on the downtown canal and may create art based on any subject within their vision – on the course or beyond.
- ALL SUBMITTED PLEIN AIR ARTWORK MUST BE CREATED THE DAY OF THE CONTEST BETWEEN 11:00 A.M. AND 12:45 P.M. All artwork submitted must be original. No pre-painted or pre-drawn work will be allowed. Anyone who starts before the 11:00 a.m. signal will be disqualified.
- DISPLAY & EXHIBITION -At 12:45 pm, all artists will prepare for the exhibit and judging. Artwork must be on display by 1:00 for judging. This allows time for framing. Each artist will have an Information Form to display with their work. This form will include the title and price of the work. Framing & Matting is recommended, but not required.
- JUDGING - There will be two categories for judging: “Student” and “Non-Student/Professional” . The People’s Choice Awards will be selected by the Regatta audience between 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. Artwork may be for sale. Winners in each category receive $200. Artwork may remain in the tent after judging is completed for those hoping to sell their artwork.
- AWARDS – Awards will be announced at 2:20 p.m.
About the Regatta - IUPUI and the Student Organization for Alumni Relations (SOAR) plans IUPUI Regatta on the Downtown Indianapolis canal each year in late September. Established in 2009, the IUPUI Regatta has quickly become a signature event for the IUPUI campus. The purpose of the event is to create a high-energy campus tradition that involves both the campus and Indianapolis community while benefiting an IUPUI student scholarship. The IUPUI Regatta consists of a half mile canoe relay competition involving teams of up to six IUPUI students, faculty/staff, and alumni beginning at Fairbanks Hall at the north end of the canal, traveling down to the USS Indianapolis basin, and then back to complete the half mile leg. The Regatta also has events designed to entertain children of all ages – clowns, face painters, IUPUI student organizations host activities for kids and college students, and live entertainment from Indianapolis area bands make this festive event a can't miss experience. Questions? Contact the Herron Alumni Association at HerronAA@iupui.edu or 317-274-8905.