Regatta En Plein Air Art Contest
On Saturday, September 20, 2014, the Herron Alumni Association will host its annual Art Contest at the IUPUI Regatta on the downtown canal. This contest is open to artists 18 years or older, whether amateur or professional. Using their own supplies, participants create original artwork in any medium. The $10 entry fee includes an official Regatta “Artist” T-shirt.
- PRE-REGISTER by 9-3-14 IF YOU WANT A T-SHIRT. All artists must pre-register online to be entered in the contest and receive a Regatta “Artist” t-shirt. You can sign up the day of the event but T-shirts may be unavailable.
- REGISTRATION FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. The contest will be held, rain or shine. The $10 fee applies even if you register too late to receive a t-shirt.
- UNSTAMPED WORK WILL NOT BE JUDGED. Registration and stamping begins at 8:30 a.m. Look for the check-in tent near Buggs Temple (11th Street). Upon arrival, artists must check-in and those with canvasses must have their pad/canvasses stamped before beginning work. Canvasses may be prepped but otherwise must be blank.
- YOU MAY SIGN, MATT OR FRAME WORK TO BE JUDGED. Artists provide their own easels for displaying their work for judging. Work can be signed, framed or matted for judging. Artists are responsible for ensuring that your easel is appropriate for outdoor display. Keep in mind that it could be a very windy, hot, rainy or cold day.
- DIGITAL WORK ACCEPTED – Artists who work in a digital medium may create their work during the day and display on a laptop (provided by the artist) for judging purposes.
- BOUNDARIES - Artists will set up along the race course on the downtown canal and may create art based on any subject within their vision – on the course or beyond.
- ALL SUBMITTED ARTWORK MUST BE CREATED THE DAY OF THE CONTEST BETWEEN 8:30 A.M. AND 2:30 P.M. All artwork submitted must be original. No pre-painted or pre-drawn work will be allowed. Anyone who starts before 8:30 a.m. will be disqualified.
- DISPLAY & EXHIBITION - At 2:30 pm, all artists will prepare for the exhibit and judging. Artwork must be on display by 3:00 for judging. Each artist will have an Information Form to display with their work. This form will include the title and price of the work. Framing & Matting is recommended, but not required.
- JUDGING - There will be six categories for judging: “ 2-D Undergraduate”, “2-D Non-Undergraduate/Professional” ,” 3-D Undergraduate”, “3-D Non-Undergraduate/Professional”, “Digital Undergraduate” “Digital Non-Undergraduate/Professional”. Winners in each category receive a $200 Visa gift card, in addition, we will have 6 “honorable mentions” that will each receive $50 gift cards.
- A People’s Choice Award will be selected by the Regatta audience between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. The winner of this category will receive a $100 Visa Gift Card.
- AWARDS – Awards will be announced at the Regatta Closing Ceremony at approximately 5:30 p.m.